I and other Changeways Clinic
staff frequently serve as resources for the media. We have been interviewed for print, radio, and television. We have also served on open-line programs.
I understand the need to speak to the point of the story, and I know the time constraints under which most media representatives operate.
TopicsHere are a few areas that have been of interest:
- How to be Miserable: Discussion of my new book, How to be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use.
- Failure to Launch: The difficulties of young adults struggling to achieve adult independence.
- The Assertiveness Workbook: Interviews about assertiveness with reference to my book.
- Mental health system: Advocacy for evidence-based treatment, flaws in existing system, strategies for improvement of outpatient services.
- Clinical depression: How to identify it, epidemiology, risk factors, treatment issues, effectiveness of medication versus psychotherapy, self-care strategies.
- Anxiety disorders: Obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, phobias, panic, agoraphobia, social anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder. Nature, incidence, and treatment.
- Stress management: How the stress response works, what it is designed for, how it gets activated inappropriately, the stress of modern life, stress management strategies.
- Sexual orientation concerns: Nature and determinants of sexual orientation, ineffectiveness of reorientation therapy, stresses on lgbt people, gay marriage, coming out to heterosexual spouse.
- Modern life: Stresses of, failure of modern society to reduce unhappiness, illness-promoting aspects of modern culture.
Contact me by calling 604 871 0490, or email me at email@example.com
to arrange a discussion, or for more information on the types of issues I can speak about.
Past Media Work: Selected Examples
Contour Magazine: The Value of Paying Attention
Ontario Today with Rita Celli: Is the concept of closure helpful?Vancouver Sun: Is compassion over-sold?New York Times: How to stand up for yourself.
KVON Napa Valley: How to be miserable.Your Great Journey Podcast: How to feel happy - A counterintuitive approach.Maritime Noon with Normal Lee Macleod, CBC Radio: What makes you happy phone-in.Ontario Today, CBC Radio: How to be miserable phone-in.Tonic.Vice.com: On the ill-advised idea of 100% happiness.Cosmopolitan Magazine: The value of accepting uncomfortable emotions.
Psychology Today Magazine: The positive aspects of solitude.Oprah.com: Excerpt from How to be Miserable.
Radio-Canada Front News Vancouver: Mood difficulties during the holidays.New York Magazine, David Marchese: To get happier, focus on what makes you miserable.
ManTalks podcast: How to be miserable.The Art of Manliness podcast 204: How to be miserable.
The Globe and Mail, Gayle MacDonald: Psychologist Randy Paterson on how not to be miserable.
Context with Lorna Dueck: Outside the Box: How to be miserable book interview.Success Magazine: Assertiveness in the workplace.
Vancouver Sun: Making the transition to independent adulthood.
CBC Morning Edition: How to be miserable.BlogTalk Radio: Amy Alkon, The Advice Goddess. How and why to be assertive.
Woman’s World Magazine: “Ultimate Experts” on how to be more assertive.
CTV News British Columbia: Blue Monday.
More Magazine: What, me worry? Article on anxiety and coping.
Coco Magazine: The nature and prevention of depression.
National Post: Interview for article on mental health policy.
Best Health Magazine: Interview for article on happiness, November issue.
On The Coast with CBC Radio Vancouver: On toxic optimism.
Everyday Leadership with Dan Mulhern: Assertive communication in the workplace.
The Yellowknifer Newspaper: New anti-suicide program in NWT.
CBC Radio North: The treatment of depression.
CTV Atlantic: Cognitive behaviour therapy for depression.
CounsellingBC.com: Audio interview on the treatment of depression.
Strides (publication of Anxiety Disorders Association of BC): Depression, mood disorders, and anxiety.
Chatelaine Magazine: Eight Strategies to Beat Depression. (reprinted in Reader’s Digest).
Georgia Straight (Vancouver-based community newspaper): Educating the public about depression.
CKNW 980 The Rafe Mair Show: Clinical depression.
WRNJ-Oldies 1510: Let’s Talk About it with Dr Frank Fowler.
eYada.com Internet talk radio: Assertive communication.
ShrinkRap with Dr Jim Ricks: Coming out.
The Vancouver Sun: Psychologist offers techniques to help overcome depression.
CBC Radio British Columbia: Treatment of social phobia.
CFPL Television London Ontario News Hour: On suicide.